Thursday, February 4, 2010

If I don't believe in love, nothing will last for me.

Once upon a time, in a far away kingdom, there lived a princess. This princess loved the sea. She loved the catfish, the mollusks, the sea horses and the carp (even the odd ones that looked like goldfish). One day, the princess was splashing in the shallow water when a glass eel approached her.

The princess looked down at the razor sharp teeth of the eel - she couldn't tell if he was smiling or grimacing at her. As a safe response, the princess just nodded, hoping this would send the eel on it's way.

But the eel persisted. It said to her, "Princess? Do you know what you want?" The princess pushed her toes deeper into the sand. The eel asked again, "Do you know what you want?"

It seemed like a fairly simple question! We all have wants. The princess said, "Well, I want to be one with the sea!" The eel nodded.

"Now, princess, do you know what you need?"

The princess thought a moment, she smiled and exclaimed, "I want what I need! I need to be with the sea!" She knelt down to the eel, scooping water between her cupped palms. "This water, it runs through my veins. I need to be one with the sea. I would be the happiest princess in the world."

The eel held still in the water and slowly opened it's jaws. The princess began to feel seasick. She couldn't lift her arms, her vision became blurred. Her thoughts washed around her skull, incoherent and distorted. She looked down to see her legs turning clear-blue. She watched her arms meld with the water between her hands. And there she stood, an standing entity of sea water.

The eel snapped his jaw shut. The princesses watery silhouette crashed down to the sea.

As he swam away, the eel knew that she had fulfilled her wants and her needs. She had succeeded.

But he knew also that she would never be the happiest princess in the world. In fact, she would never be happy again.

Sea water doesn't know how to feel.

I hear the human body is 70% water. What happens now?

2 comments: