Monday, January 11, 2010

The flavor of the week is melting down your pretty summer dress.

There is something very seductive about a strawberry. Where did the kumquat go wrong? The apple? The orange?

I think the same goes for people. Some people are just charming. Picture this: You're walking down the street, bags hanging from your bent elbow, leading up to a strawberry ice cream cone. It's a summer day and the ice cream is melting faster than you can lap it clean again. Just then, your best friend calls with urgent news that really can't wait. So you're walking down the street, talking to your distressed friend (most likely laughing at her misfortune), trying to maintain a fastly withering ice cream cone and carrying your new merchandise.

In the flurry of activity, you hadn't thought to watch where you were going. You look up from the sidewalk to see Tall Dark and Handsome in the flesh passing to your left side. His blue eyes are too much to bear and you simply cannot bring yourself to clean up the ice cream now dripping off your hand. A million thoughts overlap one another, single? Married? Kids? Sex? Sex. Eyes lock, jaws tighten, breath held.

And then you hit a stop sign flat between the eyes.

Now, for all you know, this guy could have been insane. Hears voices, sees phantoms and would die to have the voice of Alvin from Alvin and the Chipmunks. But that's not the point, at the time, he was worth a double-take and a broken nose.

Are we that simple? I think the answer is yes, at first that is.

Now I'm not going to list off the strawberries and kumquats in my life. You know who you are. But I will mention this:

"I don't normally like chicky."

What does this mysterious quote mean? What deep meaning lies behind it's seemingly simple appearance? What does it say to life, love, fruit and the universe?! I'd like to hand this question to our special guest, Mr. McMillan.

What's that? Mr. McMillan doesn't read my blog? BLASPHEMY!
My strawberry. Get your own.

2 comments: